I've had a coil spring slip out of those two outside clamp type compressors (a strut from my old Buick Century). Luckily I was smart enough to keep well away from it, so when the strut mount shot up and hit the roof of the garage it missed me. Hit me in the head coming down, which was bad enough, but I'd probably had a broken jaw otherwise.

Compress automotive springs with great care and respect!

Not just springs, either. My friend Hans was telling me mechanic stories from his just out of school days in the early 60s. The had an old German car in the shop (I don't remember the make) where the rear drums sat on tapers, and were always stuck. They had one that refused to move in spite of the beefiest guy in the shop applying all the strength he had on the puller, and it was time for lunch. All but Hans went out, but he'd brought something and was sitting in the break room eating where there was a terrific crash from the shop, followed by the sound of all the spare parts in the store room falling off their shelves.

The drum had finally let go, shot across the shop into the store room and up the wall, dumping most of the stock of parts onto the floor. If they'd been working on it when it came off, one of them would likely have been seriously injured or killed.

Makes you think, eh?

Peter