I had experience with Alabama. The state was until 1980's a "Non Title"
state. If a vehicle falls in the grandfather clause, I think it has to have
a pre 1985 manufacture date, and the vehicle has never been titled in the
state you want to title it in, you transfer it to an Agency with a Bill of
Sale and accompanying money for their fees. They than register it in Alabama
and transfer it back to you with a Bill of Sale and the AL registration
records. Sounds scary, but it works.
I did it with my vintage '72 Triumph T100 Daytona. It had a Indiana title
that got lost. In order to get a duplicate, I would have had to take it to
Indy and show them the bike. I remember the fee was $ 70 for a bike. A car
was maybe double that.