To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Sunday, March 10, 2013 8:36 PM
Subject: [MBZ] How my marriage began

Here's a true tale. Wilton can save it to read when he gets up with the chickens in the morning: [:o)
Gerry

As a young 20-something, when I went to work as the night lab tech at the old Tampa Municipal Hospital, I was in hog heaven; working amongst a gaggle of young, single nurses. One pretty blackhaired nurse caught my eye. I would talk to her at every opportunity and sometimes tease her, but she was so "cool" and concentrated on caring for wards full of poor patients, my male pride prevented me from asking her out because I thought she would probably refuse.

Finally one slow night I changed my voice, called her, told her I was the engineer, and ask her to drop a piece of toilet paper out of a particular ward window so I could see which way the wind was blowing since I wanted to blow out the smoke stack.

On her way to the window with the toilet paper she knocked a bedpan off of a bedside table and woke up the whole ward which undid her hard work of getting the patients to sleep. Finding that she couldn't open the window, which probably hadn't been opened since the hospital was built, she went back to the nursing station and called the engineer.

"I couldn't get the window open to drop the toilet paper so you can blow out the smoke stack.", she said.

"What in the world are you talking about?", the engineer said. "Drop toilet paper? Blow out the smokestack? I didn't call you."

It didn't take long for her to figure out who called her and the lab phone was soon ringing. She "let me have it" but I was laughing so hard she started laughing too and that's when I asked for a date and she agreed.

We married the following summer and it lasted 50 years until her death 6 years ago..

Gerry