Yes that makes sense. They're tell the technician not to have the dial indicator just barely touching the spindle. Actually 2 mm is just barely touching but i guess it's enough. If that's all there is too it, seem like a strange direction on how to use a tool when a lot of knowledge is presumed by these manuals.