BTW I whacked the spindle with a nylon dead blow hammer. My guess was that was enough brutality or do Mercedes like it rough....

On 3/11/2013 9:14 PM, Gerry Archer wrote:

From: "Alan Clarke" <alanc...@pacbell.net>
I know the recommended procedure people are following for setting front wheel bearing is to use a dial indicator and, with the base on the rotor measure the end play of the spindle. People are recommending half a notch if one's dial indicator is measuring thousands. My question is that I have a 1977-1988 Mercedes Service Manual for Chassis and Body Series 123. In section 33.3-300/2 it states : "6 Place tester on front wheel hub and set dial gauge to approx. 2 mm pre-load."
"7 Check end play of wheel hub by pulling and pushing on flange."
Two millimeters is 0.078".... that's a lot of rattle room.
If you go to this link, at the bottom there is a pdf file which is a copy of the manual I am referring to. Step 6 pg 266,
What gives???

Can't be right. 0.00078" would be within the recommended range of 4 to 8 ten thousands. (0004" to 0008"). If I'm in a hurry I tighten the nut while turning the wheel until the bearing is locked. Then I back it off one third turn and whack the spindle with a hammer to release the bearing. If not in a hurry I use a cheap micrometer that is graduated in thousandths of an inch and keep the needle between two adjacent thousandths marks while pulling the wheel. Never had a bearing run hot.
Gerry