Hopped in my '78 240D the other day and found that when the key was on the aux
fan was always on. Odd, its never done that before.

So yesterday I took a look and found that with the upper temp sensor
disconnected the problem went away. That sensor was disconnected (wire was
broke) when I first got the car and since I don't need AC right now I just zip
tied the offending wire out of the way.

Well what a difference in the car! I immediately noticed the car felt more
powerful, its way more drive able than it was. Today on my commute I had it
easily up to 80mph on a slight UPHILL where before I could only hit that on a
slight downhill. There was more power there, 80 was what I was able to achieve
in the space provided.

I'm kicking myself now, last summer after getting the AC sorted out I noticed
it felt like the car was down on power. I had the tank strainer changed,
changed out the fuel filters a couple times, ran biocide, lubricity improver,
bio-diesel, premium diesel, Italian tune ups. I checked the brakes for
sticking, everything I could think of. Finally I just wrote it off as
psychosomatic.

Guess this means I'll have to attend to the body work this summer...

-Curt