From: Jaime Kopchinski <jaime...@gmail.com>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Sat, Mar 2, 2013 7:20 pm
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 2004 E320 4matic Navigation System

Bob,
I might have the brackets for the trunk... I'll let you know.  You'll also
need the GPS splitter, I can find the part number.  If you want a trunk
liner that looks nice, you'll have to order one of them too.  A parts guy
that knows his stuff and his was around the EPC will be your friend here.
 Originally, if Nav was added to a car, they ordered a kit which contained
everything that was needed, including the correct liner.

Regarding the wiring, there are three connections to the Nav box.  A power
cable, MOST (orange fiber optics), and GPS antenna.  All three of these are
already in the car.  The GPS cable just runs to where a splitter can be
connected.  Its also on the driver's side of the trunk, in a little deeper.
 Actually, on second thought, you can just connect the GPS antenna
directly, but you'll have to disconnect it from the Teleaid module.  This
means your emergency call system won't know where you are.  If you want
this system to work, this is a consideration.

All communication goes through MOST to the head unit.  You have to tie the
MOST cables for the Nav box into the MOST ring.  The junction for these
cables is under the back seat, drivers side.  Its a fairly easy task if you
do it after everything else is connected.  You can just figure out which
lines come from the Nav box, and which are in the ring.  You open one of
the couplers with the system running and you'll see a red light.  Connect
that one to one of the cables from the Nav box.  If you get light coming
out of the other Nav box cable, you got the right one... now complete the
ring by connecting the two open cables together.  If not, try the other
combination.

MOST devices are in a ring.  Each device has two cables, one in and one
out.  Only thing you can mess up is mixing up in and out.  If the light
isn't able to travel around the ring completely, nothing works:  You just
see a MB star on the head unit, then it shuts down.

Jaime

Jaime Kopchinski
http://www.jaimekop.com/