OK, here's a Sondy Tale for "filler."   ;<)

FLYING WITH DANISH AIR FORCE
By Wilton Strickland

Sometime during the summer of 1978, I flew three days with a Danish Air Force C-130H crew out of Sondrestrom Air Base, Greenland, where I was Director of Engineering. During the morning of the first day, the crew flew iceberg and fishing patrol off Greenland's east coast, where they caught a whale poacher with a whale pulled partly up into a factory ship. The crew took photos with a hand-held 35mm SLR and reported the poaching ship to the Danish government to collect appropriate fines as necessary.

We also sighted and reported the positions of many icebergs. Of special interest to me was what at first appeared to be large splotches of laundry bluing spattered on them. It was really the interesting refraction and diffusion of sunlight in the ice to show the aqua blue coloring.

That afternoon, we landed at US Naval Air Station Keflavik, Iceland. Iceland has no military of its own; they have an agreement with the United States and NATO for defense. Units of the US Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard were stationed there in '78 for defense of Iceland and the surrounding area. In the O'Club that night, USAF and Navy air crewmen were holding a formal dinner in a room adjoining ours. After dinner, they came out and asked us to join them. As the evening progressed, I began to notice a significant number of mighty fine-looking, young blonde women joining the party. I made a comment to one of the American officers, "I thought the Icelandic government discourages such fraternization." His answer, "Yes, but nobody told the girls." I soon left the party and went to my room in the bachelor officer quarters (BOQ) nearby. Couple of hours later, I was awakened by giggling and squealing women in the hallway outside my room and in rooms nearby. The partiers finally quietened enough that I was able to get a few hours sleep, anyway.

The next morning, a US Navy bus picked us up after breakfast and was taking us out to the airplane when a blue light on an Icelandic police car began flashing behind us. The policeman came aboard and asked the young Navy driver why he had his rotating flashing light on top of the bus on. Driver replied, "Oh, I just forgot to turn it off." While talking to the driver, the policeman bent down close to the driver's face and took a sniff. (I had noticed when we got aboard that the driver looked a bit "scruffy" and, maybe, a bit hung-over.) The policeman immediately arrested the driver for DUI and removed him from the bus. I was seated on the front row and asked the policeman if he were getting us another driver. He replied, "Yes, I'll call; another driver will be here in a few minutes. (Not only did Icelandic police have free access to the base, Icelandic civilians also had unrestricted access to most of the base.)

We proceeded to a Danish weather and radio station about half way up the Greenland east coast called Mestersvig, a former mining community (an abandoned lead mine, Nyhavn, is directly north of there). They had a feast (Danish cold table) laid out for us - a table filled with many types of delicious cold cuts - herring, char, salmon, shrimp, cheeses, open sandwiches, pork, ham, sausages, pastries, etc. - a very impressive layout.

(Take a look at Mestersvig Lufthavn, Greenland, on Google Earth; go in close and click on the little photo icons to view several interesting photos around the area. The camouflaged Danish C-130H is sitting on the ramp in one of the photos.)

After lunch, the pilot's wife, teenage son, a couple of other Danes and I walked out to a dog kennel nearby and played with (petted) several cute little sledge dog puppies.

When we left Mestersvig early that afternoon, we had several members of the Greenland Government aboard with us and flew them to Narsarsuaq (6000' x 148' concrete runway), an airfield in southern Greenland that was built by the US Army Air Corps in 1941/42 as a refueling base for ferrying American aircraft to Europe and was known then as Bluie West One. It had a peak population during the war of about 4000 American troops. More than 10,000 aircraft were ferried through the airbase from US to Europe and North Africa during WW II. Immediately northeast of the airfield, the Americans had also built a 250-bed military hospital, of which, only foundations, chimneys and plumbing pipes were visible during my visit. All of the wood was gone - made its way across the fjørd I noticed later.

(Check Narsarsuaq, Greenland, on Google Earth; again, go in close and click on the little photo icons to view several interesting photos around the area. Note several trees in some of the photos. Directly west across the fjørd from Narsarsuaq is the village of Qassiarsuk; several nice close-up photos in this area are available for viewing, also, by clicking on the little photo icons. Note the sheep farms, hay, etc. in the fields south of the village.)

That afternoon, a Danish weatherman invited me to accompany him on a small open, outboard motor boat 2½ miles across the fjørd to the Viking village of Brahttahlid, now known as Qassiarsuk (another spelling Qagssirssuk). En route across the fjørd, we studied a couple of the numerous icebergs up close, maybe too close - they can suddenly flip over in the water as ice below the surface melts away making them top-heavy. The Viking, Eric the Red, settled here in the late tenth century after he was banished from Iceland for murder. The Vikings built the first Christian Church in the Americas here before the year 1000; I stood inside a replica of the church built on the original foundation. That and several other Viking building foundations nearby are well-preserved and are clearly visible; I walked amongst them in the lush, dark green grass of Greenland's short summer. Eric's son, Leif Ericson, departed this village in the year 1000 to discover America (Newfoundland/Vinland).

I immediately recognized the siding on the small Greenlander houses in the village as "German" siding typical of American WW II buildings. The siding had obviously come from the dismantled American hospital buildings just northeast of the airfield across the fjørd.

I was surprised to see so much lush green grass all around, in stark contrast to the dark red rock and gravel of Kulusuk and Mestersvig; I also observed several small spruce trees about 6 to 8 feet tall growing in the area. (There are lots of low bushes, shrubbery and scruffy grasses around Sondrestrom, but no trees and not the lush, thick grass like that at Qassiarsuk.) I was much more surprised, though, to see a heavy tractor-mounted, two-bottom plow (maybe a little bigger than this one http://www.everythingattachments.com/King-Kutter-Two-Bottom-Plow-p/kk-two-bottom-plow.htm ) sitting on a pallet outside the Royal Greenland Trade Department (government-run) Store awaiting pickup by a local farmer. It was amazing to see such a plow in Greenland, but there it was; I laid my hands on it. I was also pleasantly surprised to learn that there are several sheep farmers in the area. On Google Earth, now, one can easily see lots of grass/hay growing for sheep in several sizable fields at farms just south of Qassiarsuk. Bales and rows of drying hay and a farmer on a tractor working in a field are also easily visible.

A couple of the Danish air crewmen told me during the afternoon at Narsarsuaq that "we" were having a party after dinner. After the dinner tables were cleared, a small band came in and started playing, and the Danes brought out more beer and Aquavit, both of which they enthusiastically consumed. I continued to sip on my Pepsi. Soon several very young (18 to 20 years, or so) and pretty Greenlander women (girls) came in. All of them were a nice-looking mix of what appeared to be European and a bit of Oriental (Inuit) ancestry. ('Sounds a bit racist, maybe, but I'm merely trying to let the reader know that the Inuit have intermarried and interbred so much with people of European ancestry for so long that the number of Greenlanders with European ancestry is very significant and seems to be growing rapidly as the number with Inuit-only ancestry decreases; they don't like to be called ESKIMOS, either - they like to call themselves Greenlanders.) The Danish men and several of the girls greatly enjoyed dancing; three of the girls gathered around me with "that look" in their eyes (as if they were more interesting in broadening their gene pool), but they all asked in very good, British-accented English about America and American "stuff," and I tried my best to answer their questions without embellishment. They had all graduated from high school in Denmark. I could tell, too, that each one was trying to become my "favorite." I soon left the party, though, and returned to my room ALONE, but a very small part of me felt a little bit bad for disappointing all of them. ;<)

We returned to Sondrestrom the next morning with my honor and integrity still in tact.

Wilton