On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 09:49:40 -0400 Dan Penoff <d...@penoff.com> wrote:

> If I still lived in Indy, maybe, but no Fry's in Tampa. That could be a
> good thing....
>
> I do have a CompUSA close by - they are part of Tiger Direct, which may
> be good or bad, I don't know as I have never purchased anything from
> them.
>
> What I am having a hard with s figuring out exactly what motherboards
> are compatible. If I search just using the LGA1366 part the choices are
> really narrow. I'm just not sure if I go by the socket type I'll get a
> compatible motherboard.

I concur with the recommendation of Asus. SuperMicro boards are good, too.
Do NOT buy an Intel motherboard!

Check with the manufacturer's website for a particular motherboard to see
if it supports Core i7 -- the Xeon processor also uses LGA1366 and I,
too, am not sure there is complete cross-compatability. The SuperMicro
MBD-X8STI-F-O, on the other hand, lists supported CPUs as:

       CPU Socket Type
       LGA 1366

       CPU Type
       Intel Core i7-980X, i7-975 and i7-965 Extreme Edition
       Intel Core i7 series
       Intel Xeon 5600/5500 series
       Intel Xeon 3600/3500 series

So maybe there is hope.

On a separate note, are you comitted to your i7-920? Are you comitted to
Intel? What do you want to do with the computer? I'm partial to AMD
processors. You might be able to buy a relatively-high-performance AMD
processor and mother board for less than a server/workstation motherboard
for your i7-920.

The last computer I built at the Lab was for high performance:
---------------------------
1 each  AMD Opteron 6134 Magny-Cours 2.3GHz 8 x 512KB L2 Cache 12MB L3
Cache Socket G34 115W 8-Core Server Processor Model OS6134WKT8EGOWOF
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819105265 $535.99

1 each  ASUS KGPE-D16 Dual Socket G34 AMD SR5690 SSI EEB 3.61 Dual 8/12
Core AMD Opteron 6000 series Server Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131643 $439.99

8 each  Kingston KVR1333D3S4R9S/2G 2GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC Reg CL9 DIMM
        SR x4 w/TS Single x4  $87.65

Noctua NH-U12DO A3 CPU cooler

SeaSonic X Series X-850 (SS-850KM Active PFC F3) 850W 80Plus Gold P/S
210.99
--------------------------

At home, however, I go for decent performance, small size, and low energy
demand:
--------------------------
========= Processor =========
AMD Phenom II X4 905e Deneb 2.5GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3
        Cache Socket AM3 65W Quad-Core Processor - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103682
$174.99

========= Motherboard =========
ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO AM3 AMD 785G micro ATX motherboard DDR3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131406
$82.99

========= Memory =========
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
        Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231193
$106.99

========= Disk =========
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3250318AS 250 GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
        3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148451
$44.99

========= DVD Burner =========
ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X
        DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache
        SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204
$23.99

========= Case / Power Supply =========
Antec New Solution NSK3480 Black/Silver MicroATX Mid Tower Computer
http://www.excaliberpc.com/580728/antec-new-solution-nsk3480-black.html
$85.00

On my last home build, I had many, many problems getting things to work
properly -- like I never had before. I had to have Newegg replace both
the motherboard and RAM and sometimes I till wonder if the result is less
than 100%. The stuff I bought from ExcaliberPC for a previous build went
together with no problems.

Craig