I installed a new speedometer cable (GEMO) about 10 days and it worked
perfectly....it even solved the chronic 4mph fast at all speeds.  Until
yesterday, that is.  Hopped into the sled for a run to the boatyard, and I
noticed that there was a vibration at all speeds.  About 2 miles into the drive
there was a snap and the speed went to ZERO and a grinding noise began
emanating from behind the cluster.  I thought that the cable had merely come
undo, but after I popped the cluster it was still securely screwed in.  After
unscrewing, I noticed the break: right at the end.  New cable on order.

Lesson learned: Do NOT pull on the top of the cluster after you have it just
beginning to come out!  The plastic face will detach (only started to break in
my case), and the little graphite colored plastic piece covering the middle
hole will fall out of the bottom.  Not sure how to get that back in, but I'll
look when I put in the new cable.

Jon

'85 300D