Hi Craig,

ASD is a traction control of sorts. Basically, cars with ASD have a
limited-slip differential that has something like 20-40% locking all
the time, via internal clutches in the ring gear carrier. When the
computer senses wheelspin, it engages an external hydraulic system
that locks the diff up 100%, and triggers an orange warning triangle
in the center/top of the speedometer. It's easy to spot cars with ASD,
just look for the little square 'window' in the speedometer. Cars with
ASR (an electronic system without mechanical limited-slip or any
hydraulics) have the same little speedo warning light, but control
traction by reducing engine power and/or applying the rear brake to
the spinning wheel.

Only gas cars have ASR. It was optional on some 1990's cars, standard
on others. I believe it's only on M104/M119/M120 engines but that may
not be an accurate statement. ASR was never offered on diesels.
Diesels have ASD as optional equipment.

The only gas car that ever had ASD were the three different 190E-16's
(but only models shipped outside USA and Japan.) The USA got a
neutered version of the base 201.034 for some reason, and we never saw
the way cool 201.035 or 201.036 (Evolution I and II) make it across
the pond.

The 4Matic has yet a third system which is similar to ASD, complete
with speedo warning light... but MB doesn't say the 4Matic has ASD.
The 4Matics have limited slip front & rear diffs, and I think they
have the hydraulic locking for at least the rear.

Confused yet?

:-)

-Dave M.