Clay, I just sent to you off-list a copy of a composition I finished recently about bombing the jungle and other related ridiculous policies that prolonged the Vietnam War and led to having the names of more than 58000 brave, young Americans etched into that black granite wall of honor in DC.

The attachment is 5 pages - probably a little long to post on the List, though I'd like for everybody to see it - I think it is very relevant for all of us.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "clay" <redgh...@comcast.net>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Sunday, April 21, 2013 8:55 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT: shot Down in Flames gun propaganda!

As Wilton is very aware, you can drop tons and tons of ordinance on palm trees and dense jungles all day, all week and all year long with minimal effect on the will of the opposition to keep on shooting the boys on the ground.

We flew bombers over German cities and turned them into firestorms fierce enough to turn stone to dust, as well as bounce the rubble of houses and factories all night long, but the war still ground on. The air power was helpful, but the boys on the ground still had to dodge bullets and mop up that mess before it was over.

Japan was made to glow in the early morning light of two August days before they were willing to consider calling it quits. Air power devastated the Islands and cities thereon. We did not get a chance to lose our boys on the ground in Japan, but a great many did perish in the Pacific war.

Syria is using its air power, but most of the real fighting is on the ground. Iran and Iraq flew and bombed, but again, the boys on the ground did most of the work. George HW Bush took 100 days to liberate Kuwait, and that took boots on the ground, after the flyboys had expended their loads. Even the Soviets in Afghanistan were bedeviled by ground fire while tooling about in gunships. We are not doing any better there than the Ruskies, and over in Saddamistan, we declared victory in a few short weeks due to air support, but took another eight years on the ground before we gave up. To the guys on the street corners with guns.

clay