From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of tom savage
Sent: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 4:58 PM
To: Mercedes mailing list
Subject: [MBZ] 123 - mating differential to subframe

Hello all,
I just finished replacing a rear trailing arm on my '82 300D, which was
quite an adventure.  Along the way I (unnecessarily, it turned out)
separated the differential from the subframe.  Now everything is back
together, but the diff refuses to fully rejoin the subframe.  The two rear
studs are more or less aligned and tightened down, but the front of the diff
simply will not move the last inch or so that it needs to so that it can be
fully secured.  Right now, the two front studs are just barely poking
through the subframe such that I can get the nuts on them.
  And no matter how much I try to tighten them, I can't and the diff moves
no further.

Anyone know what could cause this?  I'm wondering if I need to pull the
driveshaft and then try resecuring the diff? Or drop the subframe at all
three points?  I am not looking forward to crawling under the car again...

Thanks,
Tom
'82 300D 325k - The Brave Little Toaster