I think you posted before here or on the dickie Dieselarde list or on the Mercedes Veterans list. I remember you from somewhere. Welcome back. The uneven idle can be caused by the leaking primer pump. You didn't say what year. If it has the splined DV Unions on the IP, leaking DV Union orings can also cause uneven idle, as can the DV seals.

Hi all;

I have decided it is time to come out of the lurking closet and post.

I have always wanted a 123 coupe and toyed with the idea of finding a gasser with a bad engine and swapping in the drive train from my 240d. Then I notice that JimC had a 300CD he had not done anything with since 2005. I emailed him in Nov 2011 to see if he wanted to sell and in Nov 2012 he answered. It still took me until Apr 14 2013 to get it bought and dollied from near Spokane to the wet side of the mountains. Jim got it started and moved so all we had to do was change the rear tires to some that held air, drive it on the dolly and pull the drive shaft which I left connected to the center support bearing and strapped over to the exhaust to keep it out of the way. Due to lack of space and the fact that wife and I got home late, I parked 1/4 mile down the street. On Monday I attached the driveshaft, installed a pretty good used battery (I had to put a rag on the + post and not close the hood all of the way) and with another battery and good jumper cables It started on the second try. It drove home ok but 2-3 shift was late and really slippy. Engine ran well but seemed to drop a cylinder at idle when fully warmed up. The first thing I looked at was the hard starting. All of the glow plugs measured around 1.2 to 1.3 ohms except #5 which was 23 ohms, I had a few good used ones so I swapped #5, that helped but not as much as a new battery. A test drive found an almost non-existant 2-3 shift and a late slippy 3-4 so I went through the throttle linkage adjustments and tested the vacuum regulator on the IP, I found that the EGR switches on the top of the valve cover created a vacuum leak at anything over idle so I bypassed the white line up to them. The ALDA solenoid was bypassed so I reconnected it. Next was a valve adjust and I found random loose ones and tight ones, mostly tight. It starts better now but still the miss when warm. I blasted the car with a pressure washer to remove the rest of the moss and scrubbed more oxidation off I was encouraged by Dan's finish restoration post. Next steps are a diesel purge treatment, injector return lines, primer pump leak, brakes and rotors on all 4 corners, and front wheel bearing pack. That will make safe enough to start worrying about the trans.
Wife said that parts have been arriving at home all day.

Dave Liddell
Lynnwood, Wa

'82 300CD
'77 240D
'98 Volvo S70
'89 Chev 3/4 ton van
'73 Super Beetle Convertible (mostly rusty)
+ kids cars