BZZZZZZZZZT, partially wrong. None are *required* to start or run a 240D, they are required if you wish to have turn signals, wipers, or lights.

My first Benz, '83 300SD, had the regulator go bad around dusk during a trip from AR to KS. We spent the night at a motel, called the Kansas City Benz dealer to confirm the part was in stock, got a jump start, then drove about 2 hours with minimal battery usage. When I pulled off the interstate in KC, the battery was so weak that the turn signal caused the speedometer to tick down about half of the actual speed. While I was lying under the Gold Beast, the service manager came out and asked what was up. When I told him, he says (in a thick German accent) "ya, da foltage regulator. I bring you a jump kit." He helped me jump the SD and we were rolling less than 30 minutes and $35 after arriving at the dealer.

Luther   KB5QHU    Forest Park, IL
'98 ML320 "Max" (164,xxx mi)