Aaron,

I think that's just old-school Mercedes over-engineering. I'd love to
see the car that actually requires the special tool. IIRC, if you jam
a screwdriver into the slot and pry/twist, that should provide enough
separation, in the event a BFH didn't work in the first place. Maybe
this is a bigger problem in the rust belt.

=)

-Dave M.