All,

I was finally able to mount the Bendix caliper to replace the ATE on the 240D.
The rotor had expanded in diameter due to rust and heat deformation and was
impinging on the caliper.  So I ground off the rust on the circumference of the
rotor which relieved most of the interference except for a couple spots.  The
Bendix caliper was a rebuild and the two castings were poorly matched, the
outer casting was offset high.  So I applied a little Dremel therapy to the
high spots.  Now it fits, and on to the other caliper.  Bendix rebuilds are a
common as coffee cups and very inexpensive, under $50 everywhere.  ATE calipers
have disappeared, $375 ea. on ebay for full rebuilds, seal kits alone are $25
ea.  So the answer is Bendix.  BTW, as I was fumbling for a plan, Management
asked "Can't you just take the part off that other car?"  (she was kind enough
not to say "that old diesel that's been sitting in the driveway that doesn't
run")  In hindsight,
 the correct answer should have been "Yes dear".    It was another 240D with
Bendix calipers.

Bruce