AND - make sure you wind it in the right way.
No idea if it is possible to do it backwards on your mower but can relate a story told by a fellow I once worked for.

Someone brought in a chainsaw that would not start.
The story told was that they had accidently poured chain oil into the fuel tank. Once they discovered this they dumped it etc but I guess it had clogged up the fuel line and maybe the carb before they noticed their error. In any event, they pulled and pulled on it trying to start it until they broke the cord.
They took it to a shop and had a new one installed.
The shop could not get it to run and suggested it was going to need more work than it was worth to fix it.

The owner took it to my friend who ran a different shop and had a reputation of being able to fix anything.
He messed about with it on and off for days.
He discovered that:
If he took the starter off and turned the flywheel, he had spark.
If he put it back together and tried to start it, there was no spark.

He finally realized that the first shop had wound the cord in backwards and so when he turned the flywheel by hand he was turning it the right way but when he pulled on the cord, he was turning it backwards.
He rewound the cord in the right direction and it fired right up.

Randy