Not quite sure what you mean but assume you refer to the 240D style knob on the dash. My 76 300D uses the setup where one turns the key and the orange light comes on. When it goes out, I turn the key further just like starting a gasoline vehicle.
When I stop it, I turn the key back like on a gasoline vehicle.
Except that in this case, it won't stop and I have to open the hood and press down on the lever that says top.

My experience is limited to this car alone - my first and only MB diesel.

Randy

Ok, in that case, the vacuum posts all apply to your car. If the locks work, then perhaps the vacuum shutoff on the IP is leaking. You can identify this by taking loose the vacuum line to the IP and put a vacuum gauge on it. If it shows 15-20 in vacuum when someone turns off the key, then the system is working up to the shutoff, and you will have determined that the vacuum shutoff needs to be replaced.

There are a bunch of how-tos and warnings about doing the shutoff R&R. Be sure to heed the warnings.