Dieselhead wrote:

I can't remember the number, but you are many more times more likely to be struck by lightning than to be killed by a terrorist. Another interesting statistic.

We've had over 3000 people killed by lightning in the last 12 years?
Oh, many times more likely.
We've had over 10,000 people killed by lightning?
Mitch.

THe common phrase is more likely to be struck by lightning. If you re-read what I wrote, I used the phrase, Struck by lightning. I did not mention death by lightning. Here is the "facts" as reported by the "unassailable source" wikipedia: "An estimated 24,000 people are killed by lightning strikes around the world each year and about 240,000 are injured.[3] According to the NOAA, over the last 20 years, the United States averaged 51 annual lightning strike fatalities, placing it in the second position, just behind floods for weather killers.[4][5] In the US, between 9% and 10% of those struck die,[6] for an average of 40 to 50 deaths per year (28 in 2008).[7] The odds of an average person living in the US being struck by lightning in a given year is 1/1,000,000, while the odds of being struck by lightning in a lifetime is 1/10,000 (estimated lifespan of 80 years).[8]"

if only 10% of those struck die, then about 500 per year are struck by lightning. 500 * 12 (to use Mitch's math) is 6000. So, yes, you are twice as likely to be struck by lightning as killed by a terrorist. If you avoid large cities and gatherings, you are WAY more likely to be stuck by lightning than killed by a terrorist.

A little perspective on the situation.

Now, your chances of being killed on the highway compared to being stuck by lightning? We don't wanna know...