relng...@aol.com wrote:
now, the big failures ($$) are the Electronic Ignition Module in the early cars (from 2008, all models) which is the unit that unlocks the steering column when the key is inserted. When it fails the car is flatbedded to a dealer for a minimum $1K bill. This is NOT a diy repair. Yes, this is an electronic failure where the key and key slot fail to communicate.

Yikes.
I'm willing to put up with $300 smartkeys, but not that.

And I thought the VATS in my Oldsmobile was annoying.
It's the simplest version, where the key is purely mechanical and the ignition lock has the resistor in it. When it started acting up, I never knew when I might be stuck waiting ten minutes for it to let me start the car. When it started happening often, I took the covers off the steering column and unplugged the Passlock wires with the car running. Now the computer knows Passlock has failed and will ignore it from now on. The official cure on the Olds would have been a new lock $125, installation and making the computer learn to recognize the new lock ($100 or so), and no longer having the ignition key fit the doors. Or I could have taken the lock to a locksmith for repair/replacement and been able to keep my existing ignition key.

Mitch.

Not that sounds like a good MAMb cure that Jim C. would approve of.

MAMB was Jim's term in his brief stint as an entrepreneur: Middle Aged Mercedes Benz