ATTABOY!  'Sounds like a fine, enjoyable machine.  3 hours or so each way?

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Randy Bennell" <rbenn...@bennell.ca>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 5:15 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] On the road again]

Drove the 115 300D to the cottage and back this weekend. About 175 miles each way. Out on Saturday morning and back on Monday afternoon on a tank without having to refill anywhere which is nice.
My truck will not do that.
Rained all weekend. Most of the time, not all that hard, but steady.
Really windy on the way back yesterday (our long weekend - Queen Victoria's birthday but now they (not sure who "they "is) want to add and aboriginal day or some such nonsense. If they want to proclaim an aboriginal day, then they should just do it and not screw up tradition.
We got a new holiday in February a couple of years back.
In some provinces it is family day or some nonsense. The whole purpose was to create a long weekend in the middle of the long winter when there was not one. In Manitoba they called it Louis Riel Day in honour of some past character who got himself hanged for treason. Just wierd from my point of view but we seem just bent on all things native including the metis. They howl all of the time about how we white folks robbed them of their land etc. We sure are paying for it now.

Back to the car. Ran fine. Anywhere from about 55 mph to 75 mph. Passing semi's in the rain is a bit dodgy with the spray and the wind. Ok once one is about half way along side the truck but every time I did so, I put the wipers on high when I dove into the spray.

As I said, really windy and got pushed around more than I ever remember with that car. Sort of a boxy thing though so no surprise I guess. Cannot recall from year to year but it seemed to me like it was maybe running a bit warmer than normal. Held pretty steady at just over 200 degrees according to the gauge. Son the mechanic says that should be fine. SBC's run about 220 normally so he says.
Have not checked the oil since I got back to see if it went down at all.
Did check the rad when out at the lake and it was down maybe an inch below where I think it should be but still covering the core so thought it should be ok.

Darn near slid the back end sideways when pulling out onto a highway in the rain. Tight left 90 degree turn and there was traffic coming so I got on the throttle pretty hard. Have never done that with this car before.

Never cease to be amazed at how well this 37 year old hunk of iron runs. A little noisey but no complaints on the ride etc.

Randy