Probably because things like the motor in the dryer run on 120V and only the heating elements run on 240V. So, in the HWT there are no 120V items as someone previously noted and the white neutral is not needed.

I used to repair rental HWT for Ontario Hydro out at the lake back in the early 1970's. The closest Hydro office was 50 miles away and so they wanted someone local to do the repairs. Generally faster and cheaper than sending a union member service fellow out by truck.

I used a meter similar to the one that one of you folks asked about a day ot so back - a clamp on Amprobe Meter. A 3000W element which was the standard upper element back then would draw about 12.5 Amps accross each side at 240V if I recall. Most were 40 gallon tanks. A 60 gallon tank would generally have a 4500W upper element but there were not many of the big tanks installed in cottages. If I found that the 2 sides were not equal, then it was cause to change the element. Some of the elemnts were immersion and some were strap elements that wrapped around the tank and clamped on. The strap elements were generally easier to change because I did not have to drain the tank of water. The problem with draining was that it took time and I was not paid hourly. It was a flat rate arrangement.
The lower element was then usually only 1500W in the 40 gallon tanks.
The only bad thing about the strap elements was that they would sometimes weld themselves to the tank when they burned out.
That could make for difficult removal.
There is generally a circuit breaker type doodad in there along with the top thermostat. A red push button reset in my day. That would often need to be reset after a thunderstorm. I got $10 for a basic button reset back in about 1973. Sometimes after a storm I would spend my evening going from one cottage to another and make $60 to $100 in the evening after supper.
To me, that was pretty good money back then.

Randy