Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 16:12:11 -0400
From: "WILTON" <wilt...@nc.rr.com>
To: "mercedes list" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: [MBZ] '91 350SDL not charging? - starter?

Several days ago we talked about my 350SDL voltages, charging, etc.  Got new
regulator/brushes from Q2 several days ago, but not yet installed; meanwhile,
I've checked battery and charging voltages several times every day or so, and
they've been fairly normal - 12.45 V at bat after sitting coupla days; 13.89 V
at bat w/engine running, etc.  This morning, car was very reluctant to turn
over but did start; started to back out of driveway and remembered that maybe I
should take jumper cables with me on 50-mile trip; pulled back up to trunk of
300D where cables were stowed; had to turn off 350SDL to get key for other car;
retrieved jump cables from 300D trunk and got back in 350SDL and, guess what?!
350SDL would not turn over enough to start; switched to 300D for trip; checked
350SDL battery voltage when I got back coupla hours ago - bat V =12.36;
connected jumper cables from 300D, V at 350SDL bat = 12.95 while connected to
300D bat; tried starting 350SDL; V at 350SDL bat plunged to 3.XX with starter
barely turning; tried at least 3 times with same results; now, starter doesn't
turn.

Whacha think?  Bad starter?

Wilton