Just catching up on these after being away to the Jersey shore for a  week
getting the house ready for the summer [Ocean City - no damage from Sandy
due to being in the center of the eye & due to that my civil engineer dad
bought on the highest elevation of 10' on the island in 1973]
   Anyway I wanna give my input on tick prevention. When I  yonder into
vegetation,such as walking thru the parks or birdwatching, I rub  my any
exposed skin with Bounce dryer paper { or generic brand } Rub  the back of your
neck too. Usually I'll tuck a used piece in each of my socks.  If you wear a
hat tuck it in the back. This keeps the gnats as well as misquitos  away.
Pleasant smell too  !! Not like Deet & no oily feel on your  skin.

Bob