There is an important lesson in here that I learned as a youngster who was able
to travel outside the country:

When visiting other countries/cultures, follow some simple rules:

1.) Respect your host's culture. Never ridicule, disrespect, or dismiss their
culture, language, country, etc.  Just because you're an American doesn't make
you or your country better.

2.) Take a serious interest in your host's culture/language/country.  It shows
a level of respect that they are due.

3.) Make an effort to participate, even if it means publicly humiliating
yourself.

When I traveled as an adult, I went to great lengths to learn what I could
about the country I would be visiting, including it's history, language,
cultures, current events, etc.  The response you will get from people is
nothing short of amazing when you show an even limited knowledge of them.  I
can't count the number of times I was welcomed into complete stranger's homes
to meet their families, neighbors, friends, and so on when I expressed an
interest in knowing more about them.

I will say this:  It can be frightening at times.  Be adventuresome.  If you
don't know the culture, you may be met with strange looks, gasps, whatever, if
you act (by their norms) inappropriately.  All you can do is excuse yourself
and move on.  In most cases, your host will help guide you through whatever the
situation is - if you're gracious they'll understand you're a foreigner and
forgive you.

By being accepting and understanding that others are just as good (or better)
than we, you'll have some amazing experiences.  Some of the most exciting times
and experiences I have ever had in my life were with people I didn't know and
will never see again.  They made me feel welcome because I respected them and
their culture.  And I learned some wonderful things about other peoples and
places, too.

There is nothing worse than the "Ugly American" who goes to another country and
expects things to be the same as they are back home.  After all, what's the
point?

Dan with over 1,000,000 lifetime flight miles on Northwest alone....