On Fri, 7 Jun 2013 21:24:57 -0700 "Jerry Herrman" <jer...@san.rr.com>
wrote:

> Anyone used a product called "Bloxygen" to displace air and oxygen from
> opened and partially used cans of such products as oil based paint,
> polyurethane, varnish, epoxys, fuel additives, etc.? Is it a
> significant advantage over, say, letting a film of oil paint skin over
> and removing it next time you use the product? Worth the price?
>
> http://www.bloxygen.com/

It's a unique idea. Argon, with one atom per unit gas, has an atomic
weight of 39.948. Oxygen, with two atoms per unit gas, has a molecular
weight of 31.9988. Argon, then, is indeed heavier than air and will sink
down to the surface of the paint in a can, displacing the oxygen.

I have been using oil-based paint for the inside trim of our house.
Opening a can that has been used reveals a skin on the top. Fishing this
out of a can not only brings the skin, but a lot of liquid paint as well.
It also can leave hard particles of paint in the can. It's messy and
wasteful.

Bloxygen sounds like something I will want to try when we get to
finishing the rest of the house.

Craig