Might have more to do with costs I would think.   The made in EU part has a
higher manufacturing and shipping cost to third world areas, so make the part
in the closer third world area to the same spec, and sell it on for a more
reasonable cost.  No need to load up containers on large ships to putter along
the seas for ages to get a part to the guy in the bush with a busted down taxi.

I am not sure WTF frod was thinking shutting down auto lines in AUS, but it may
involve heads, rectums, and being trapped up one.   Is it really less trouble
to make it in china?

clay
who was not made in EU to any spec