The difference between this and an ACL is that an ACL will resolve the name to
IP address(es), then block all connections to those IP addresses, whereas
opendns will not provide the real IP address in response to the (name lookup)
query.

This might seem like a small distinction, but with the prevalence of virtual
hosting (where several domains may resolve to the same IP address), ACL based
blocking is more prone to collateral damage (unintended blocking of
"legitimate" sites that resolve to an IP address that is also used by a blocked
domain)...

--
John W Reames
jream...@verizon.net