From looking at brochures online, it looks like velour was available from the '70s ( starting with the W116, W123 & C107) to at least the '90MY here in the US (in no less then 8 colors!) on all models except for the SL Roadster. N/C on some models, the option cost around $1K+- for all others.

No different then ordering heated seats really, as in it was listed in the price/equipment or paint/upholstery brochures & there was no extra charge over what the option cost. Unlike the SPC program Mercedes currently has for special options/trim (which they hide in the ordering guides, not sure why?), that entails a total additional $250 charge for the option(s) ordered.

I think I would choose velor over the Tex or leather myself (in the periods where it was offered). Came across a dark gray 300E for sale online once that had a black velor interior, looked really nice!