As usual I'm glad I'm 700 miles away. As much as I want your 300D my wife would
KILL me. Then she'd probably find and kill you too.

-Curt

Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 16:40:21 -0400
From: Tim Crone <bb...@crone.us>
To: Mercedes List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: [MBZ] 300D and 300SDL on the block (Chapel Hill NC)

The MBs did wind up moving to CH with me, but since I'm the only one
hauling the kids I'm driving the van exclusively (in all its 14 MPG,
air-conditioned glory).  I will consider any offer/s on my MBs.  As is
where is (near Eubanks and Rogers Rd, Chapel Hill NC), though I am happy to
help you if you need tools or a hand to do something on them.

The 87 300SDL is the one with the bad (now removed but not replaced) freeze
plug behind the FI pump.  It has 316Kmi, a big dent in the driver quarter
panel and door, no AC and a wonky fan clutch, otherwise was in good
condition with a 22 head and a functional transmission.  Five new tires, or
at least they were before the freeze plug broke. Gray paint, mottled with a
peeled clear coat.  If you can figure out a way to replace the freeze plug,
or are willing to remove the FI pump to do it, this should be a good car.
Some extra parts including two new OE freeze plugs, a new fan clutch, and
many engine gaskets.  (A universal freeze plug won't fit, BTDT.)

The 77 300D was my daily driver until mid-May, runs decently for a NA 300D.
No AC but has all the components; I short-circuited the system so the heat
works, since of course the ACC2 vacuum discombobulator doesn't.  Needs a
new exhaust manifold (which I have) and a good fuel tank cleaning, but runs
fine if you aren't too picky.  Probably could use new front rubber again.
Five tires are very new; young brakes and wheel bearings.  Repainted by PO
into a gold-ish color, some rust underneath in the back right, and in the
rim of the trunk.  Also includes many spare parts.  European delivery,
replaced cluster so mileage is unknown - I think it is less than indicated
(292Kmi) based on reports of PO, and that I only replaced the driver's door
bumper 20k-ish ago, but I have no proof in either direction.

Clear titles, and I am about two miles from a U-Haul dealer if you need to
rent a trailer.  I work near RDU, and can put you up for a night or two if
you need.  Note no hitch on the 300D, so wipe that thought from your head.
:)

Best,
Tim