On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 8:16 PM, Craig <diese...@pisquared.net> wrote:

> There has been some discussion on LinkedIn under J.T. O'Donnell's
> writings about recruiters and what low-lifes they are. I would think a
> company employee, recruiting for his company, would be different.

Unfortunately your experience is probably pretty typical.  I've dealt with
lots of recruiters over the past few years (as a software engineer and
systems analyst working various contract jobs) and most of them seem to me
to be barely competent.  There are a few good apples in the bunch, but they
are rare.  initiating contact with a great-sounding job opening and then
not following up is definitely one of their standard MOs.  Best way to deal
with it, I've found, is just to keep up contact, which it sounds like
you're doing.  Call, send emails, send LinkedIn messages--assume that the
job is still open, and the recruiter is just dragging his feet, until you
are explicitly told otherwise.  Squeaky wheel definitely gets the grease in
this case.

Alex