> Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 16:39:11 -0500
> From: Randy Bennell <rbenn...@bennell.ca>
>
> When I put it in the water and give it a good test run, if I
> discover
> some expensive problem, I will be hard pressed to continue repairs
> unless I can find a cheap used part and the install is not too
> difficult. That might just be throwing good money after bad.
>
> Randy

A subject I can get into
The '73 OMC is an electric shift and I like your idea of selling/scrapping
since the 3.0L/140 is a desirable engine and the pre-1989 models (split rear
main seal) is getting hard to find. The intake and exhaust ports were also
different after '89.
On the subject of the water pump, The OMC impeller runs in an aluminum housing
(unlike Mercruiser which has a stainless liner) that gets corroded and eats the
impeller losing water pressure. You will probably find that the upper unit
splines and waterpump shaft splines are all rusted away also. If you are going
to run it, make sure that the charging system is good, otherwise it will jump
in and out of gear and break the shift springs which are nearly impossible to
find. Check your steering, both types, internal and external have become rare.
If it is external there is one alternative.

OMC stands for;
Oh, My Checkbook
Outboard Marine Copulation
Other Mercury Company... (a slander to Mercury?)

dave
Lynnwood, Wa

'82 300CD (First full fuel tank in 7 years)
'77 240D You-gly (it takes 10 uglies to make a you-gly)
'85 190E (now in daughter's name)
'98 Volvo S70 (What can I say, Wife loves it, I hate it when anything breaks)
'77 Trisonic w/Mercruiser 140
No less than 10 outboards dating from 1947-1977