A fella on the OzBenz list has a mate with a 124 300D that was taken to a doctors appointment and 2 hours later wouldn't start.
Here is his cry for help:

I am trying to get a friend's W124 300D going and was wondering what the expected mileage life could be for one of these engines?

There are good service records up until 300k, and it now has 470k on the clock. Although the motor cranks over and nearly starts it will just not run.

So far I have done some basic things such as cleaned the tank filter, blown out the line, fitted two new fuel filters from MB Spares, checked for a broken timing chain/correct engine and injector pump timing and they appear OK. Fuel is pulsing around each injector line, and there is test light voltage at the glow plugs. Am looking to do a compression test next when I can get the fittings.

The car was driven to a doctor's appointment one day and just refused to start again, and had to be towed.

I thought I had read that these motors were capable of quite high mileages, but am now fearing it may not have enough compression to fire. Could this be likely?
Any experienced thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Col.

My guess is a busted headgasket leaking between cylinders, so in fact taking out two cylinder, I would think it would run on five cylinders. Perhaps fuel shut off valve? However I don't know enough about the OM 603 to be able to come up with specifics.

Hendrik
who does not own an OM603