I am not sure I made a great choice in getting the w220. It is a very nice example that gets praise from the people at shops I have taken her to. That said, the thing is overly complex and bound to be very expensive to maintain. Selection of design parts is rather substandard compared to previous E class models. Very oriental in and cheapo carpet, dash as well as headliner

clay

2002 s430 - Victor, a Stately & well tailored chap
1974 450sl -  Frosch - Two tone green
POS 1987 SDL - Beware Nigerian Scammers

Yes, exactly why I can't see buying any post 124/126 MB. A 126 is SO much better, simpler (even though it is complex) and easier/cheaper to maintain.

Maybe by an off lease new one and then sell/buy another every year IF you can afford it. But they are no longer the low cost per mile vehicle that the 110 through 126 are/were.

So I think newish stuff will be frods, dogdes or maybe even an Imp. for me.

The beauty of the 110 through 123 Diesels is that they are simply the lowest cost per mile vehicle available. now deetriot iron gets 250 to 350k miles routinely, and better mileage than the 70s and 80s stuff except diesels and a lot less money to get into. $3k will buy you a decent car with under 100k miles IF you shop around.