Rich Thomas wrote:
Well, in this case he had a good conversation with the guy, who appeared genuinely interested in his abilities and was trying to think of how he would fit in the company. So, if not that company, maybe the guy had some other contacts.

Most jobs come from networking, so that is one way to do it. And asking takes all of 5 seconds, and the worst that can happen is the guy says, "no" but you might plant a seed for the guy to think in the future of this other guy he talked to in the past. So, what's the downside?

Stop being such a cynic.

I was thinking in terms of "I really want to work with you guys" until the moment where it became impossible to work with those guys. Then I would say "I really want to work".

Mitch.