It doesn't seem to be losing coolant now; I'll put some more oil in it and try it a bit again tomorrow.
Idles and runs nicely; 'fraid to drive it so much with fuel in the oil.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "WILTON" <wilt...@nc.rr.com> To: "mercedes list" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>; "Rich Thomas" <richthomas79td...@constructivity.net>
Sent: Sunday, July 21, 2013 2:16 PM
Subject: [MBZ] 91 350SDL

PLACE YOUR BIDS; BRING A TRAILER

I lost a lot of confidence in the car the day the timing chain broke at 89 kmi in April 1996. 'Few days later, learned about many other owners' problems with same engine -- rod-bender, etc. Many of you have noticed that I've many times said, "Car doing well - just keeping my fingers crossed." The car is a fantastic cruiser - best riding/driving car I've had during 60 years of car ownership. I was terribly disappointed the day it "dropped" me on the road catastrophically - only car that's ever done that. I just can not feel "at ease" travelling long distances in it. After getting the transmission rebuilt several years ago at 186 kmi and repairing the vandalism to it in March 2012, I decided that I would let it go at the next major failure/expense. I'm afraid this is it. Meanwhile, it has spent most of the last 4 or 5 years just sitting collecting bird doo that I have to wash off coupla times a week; we drive it only occasionally, mainly, to keep the battery from going completely dead; we've driven it only about 7 kmi in last couple of years or more. I'm not physically able to keep it clean and waxed like I want to and the way it should be. We're gonna see how it goes with just one car for a while.

PLACE YOUR BIDS; BRING A TRAILER.

'91 350SDL, Purchased in 1995 @ 79 kmi; now 204.5 kmi., 040 Black, no rust that I know of, cracks in paint on hood, several small bird-doo etchings on roof, aluminum replacement trunk lid, installed Jun '12 because of vandalism, should be stripped to aluminum and repainted appropriately for alum.; palomino leather int., worn spot at lower left corner of driver backrest, torn seam on top of rear seat backrest.

'Been using and leaking some oil for last couple of years

Fuel in oil - unable to confirm coolant in oil; head may be OK.

Usually starts with just a touch of the starter
Cruise and climate control work nicely.

Following is a list of several repairs, etc., in addition to the usual Mobil 1 oil, filters, glow plugs, alignments, balancing, and lots of other stuff during 18 years that I don't remember:

New timing chain, several valves, lifters, shaved head, gasket, etc., -- bunch of stuff -- May '96, 89 kmi Hit deer in Jun '96; R & R left headlight assembly, LF door and fender; repairs to LF corner of hood; repainted hood, LF door and fender.
Windshield replaced w/PPG unit Jun '99
Mobil 1 since '01
Shutdown actuator May '01
Inj. Pump seal rings Jun '01
Ign. tumbler Aug '01,  148 kmi
New radiator and hoses Dec '02
New blower fan and controller/"porcupine" in '03, 162 kmi
Bilstein shocks, sway bar links, shift link bushings in '04
Michelin tires; lower ball joints & tie rod ends Oct '04,  175 kmi
Tranny rebuilt Jun '07,  186 kmi
Precautionary timing chain R & R  Mar '09, 191 kmi
Power steering pump ~ '10
Glow plugs, thermostat, rad hose, belt Sep '10
AC exp valve, dryer, switches Sep '10
Brake pads ~'11, 197 kmi
Rear windshield  Apr '12
Lower rad hose  Jun '13

Radio inop - disconnected because of trickle draw on bat - sending retraction signal to fully retracted antenna.
Clock inop

Wilton