This may be a wierd question but when did they switch from the York to the Gm compressor happen on the 123? My very first car was a 79 240d and I thought it had the York. I was looking at a 79 240d on eBay and it has the Gm. I saw a 78 or 79 300d on eBay the other day and it had the York. So just curious if anybody knew when the change happened.

Sent from my iPhone

My 80 and 81 both have GM. If you've seen 79s with both york and GM, that was probably the transition year. 80 had series GPs and 81 has pencil type. Both now have pencil type due to engine swap in the 80.

78 had swing tube intake and bellcrank accelerator linkage. My 80 had and has the flat intake and newer style throttle without the bellcrank. That tends to indicate 79 was a transition year.