Thanks Manfred,
He used an engine starter button to turn the engine over and we did not see the welling up, only spurting. I will pass along this information to him and we sill start again on Monday. My lack of knowledge as well as his is become glaringly apparent. I will be talking to the owner on Monday about this. Is there a manual or specific instructions about how to time the pump that I need to purchase and or read and take to the mechanic.
Thanks for everyone's patience in helping me with this.
Mike

NO! NO! NO!   You can't turn the engine over with the starter when timing!!!

As Manfred said, once you find the approximate location of the START of injection (that needs to line up with the correct degrees BTDC, then you turn the engine over by hand with a socket on the crankshaftt big bolt about 700ยบ (just under two full revolutions) then very, very sloooowly until the drip tube stops running and just starts to drip (With the DV pin out) or, using my Q&D method, until the fuel in the 2mm dia part of the bore in the #1 DV union just barely starts to move (like .005")

RTFB  OM616/617 engine book. (paper)

Timing a diesel is NOTHING like timing a gasser. Static timing a gassser is similar to timing a Diesel, but not nearly as much precision is required.