If it's just a simple busted gear, yeah, fix it yourself. Otherwise it
may need the attention of a professional. My 1987 300D speedo trip
odometer was acting up for a long time and finally died - after
resetting it would 'click' at 0.9 miles, and not roll forward.
Continual resetting over many miles might, eventually, get it counting
properly again. I sent it to Overseas Speedo for repair, and it came
back doing the same thing. I sent it back a second time, they spent
more time on it, but it still does the same thing! I gave up, got it
working (after a bazillion reset cycles), and just don't touch the
reset button anymore. I'm toying with the idea of changing my rear
axle ratio anyway, which would require a new/different speedo, and I
figure at that point I'll get one that WORKS. Otherwise I may send it
in to a different VDO repair shop and see if they have better luck
fixing whatever the problem is.

YMMV, etc...

:)

-Dave M.