Do I have to take off the Alternator Adjusting Bracket ,attach the
alternator to it with the alternator adjusting bolt with the welded  threaded
rod
and then  assemble the whole unit into the car  ??  Apparently my MB indy
awhile ago had cut off the threaded rod off  the adjusting bolt when I asked
him to tighten it when I previously couldn't-  said I didn't need it. It held
for 25k when I put the new belt on.Now the  alternator is shot so I got a 55
amp Bosch.  Do I really need  that  threaded rod ?? I was thinking about
welding a threaded rod back on  but it looks like it has special nut according
to the pictures or will a regular  stainless steel nut with heavy washers
suffice? Or just tightening the  adjusting bolt will do without the rod just
like the way he had it. That  seemed to work.Just have to pry it tight
otherwise..Without the threaded rod I  can just slip the new alternator in put
in
the cutoff bolt. Any suggestions ?  -THANX

Bob
83 240D

PS  Mao your SCOBY is going out this week. It has been too hot to mail
recently.... Darren- Please confirm your address to me so that I can  forward
yours