i learned about jap goods in the late 70s.  as young people, we mostly got
around by bicycle.  our dads maybe or may not have had a car but dads
worked 15 hours a day, so they weren't going to be driving us around.  moms
did not drive for the most part.  our main mode of personal transportation
was the bicycle and our local bicycle shop was owned by a man who went by
the name of "buddy".

like all good bike dealers back then, buddy was a schwinn dealer.  the bike
to get was the schwinn varsity or something even nicer.  problem was the
varsity was like $169, which was big money for us.  so buddy would show us
his japanese bikes, fujis and panasonics, which were $120 and told us that
they were as good or better than schwinns at double the price.  we trusted
buddy and felt that going to a discount store for something cheaper would
not work out, so while we felt his claim to be just as good as a higher
line  schwinn "10 speed" was so much salesman hype, we got together the
money and ended up on japanese 12 speed bicycles.

they were GREAT bikes.  i see people riding them to this day and i never
see anyone on a schwinn varsity today.

for me, japanese good from japanese companies are the best there is,
although i'm developing some very warm feelings towards korea and taiwan as
well.

as for the PRC, i see no hope and no future for their product.  just crap
product for the super stupid and i fear it always will be

On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 4:06 PM, Gerry Archer <arche...@embarqmail.com>wrote:

> Japan sold a lot of cheap consumer goods; toys, notions, etc; during the
> 1930s; house slippers with paper soles, for example; such that "made in
> Japan" was synonymous with junk.  This continued after WW-2 until Japan set
> up an agency that tested export goods and would not issue an export licence
> unless the products met fairly high standards.  That was the beginning of
> Japans reputation for quality products and its export success.
> Gerry.....who bought the Japanese stuff at the "five and dime" stores
> during the '30s.
>
> From: "Dieselhead" <126die...@gmail.com>
>
>  >The great irony here is that the Japanese learned quality management from
>>
>>> the US after WWII (Google: W. Edwards Demming).  The US developed/used
>>> these
>>> quality approaches for the massive WWII war production.  The ironic part
>>> is
>>> that US industry then blew off all these quality lessons after the war
>>> and
>>> focused on just making money, which wasn't hard for the only surviving
>>> industrial base in the world.  That came to a grinding halt when the
>>> Japanese (using quality methods learned from us) became the world leader
>>> for
>>> quality back in the 80s and 90s.  We older folks recall the 50s and 60s
>>> when
>>> "made in Japan" meant junk.
>>>
>>>  Hear Hear!  (visualize Ben Franklin stomping his cane on the floor.)
>> (ASQ Senior member)

*reliable vendor of superior parts for mercedes and other european cars

*
*www.BuyEUROparts.com*