Mitch,
I'm not totally familiar with all the CA, National differences. It's not real
easy to put an 81-85 engine in a 78-80 300SD. The 78-80 had different glow plug
relays (even within those years, but definitely different than the 81-85).
There is also a difference in the transmission vacuum structure so you'd
probably have to use the 81-85 tranny also. Battery is located differently so
different cables, and on and on. I'm not sure the effort would be worth it. But
then after reading a lot of emails on multiple Benz lists, I've come to believe
that some people will attempt anything just for the "macho buzz" of having
accomplished it.
But to Kaleb, this car is still probably worth more than $1800 in parts. I just
had to replace the tranny in my 1980 300SD (around 425,000 miles and just
finally quit) and I had a time finding one. I lucked into a low mileage (I
hope, not that recyclers would bend the truth) used one at Catalina Recycle in
AZ. So far, it's good. And don't think about finding the rebuilt rear half
axles, etc. etc. About 3yrs ago the number of parts for the 116 started
dwindling on eBay and elsewhere, so if you want to buy it for maybe $1200 and
part it out, you would probably make a profit.
Best Wishes,

Roger Hale
Dinnerware Classics, Inc.
Monroe, Ga.