From: Mercedes [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com] On Behalf Of Tim Crone
Sent: Thursday, August 08, 2013 2:39 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] '77 300D ACC2 widget

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 7:14 PM, Allan Streib <str...@cs.indiana.edu> wrote:

> Alex Chamberlain <apchamberl...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > What's wrong with the Unwired Tools kit, besides the fact that it's way
> > overpriced for something that anyone with some electronics and
> fabrication
> > skill should be able to cobble together out of an Arduino and some
> aquarium
> > tubing?
>
> I think the Unwired kit pre-dates the availability of cheap, flexible
> microcontrollers like arduino.  Someone with motivation could proably
> drastically undercut their price now.  But the hard part is figuring out
> how all the different modes of operation work.  I think there's enough
> documetation of the ACC online to be able to work it out, but it would
> take some time and tinkering.  And the market for it is pretty tiny now
> and will only get smaller.

I took this puppy apart the other night.  It was shockingly corroded, and I
still don't understand exactly how the vacuum part works.  Not a
super-complex mechanism mechanically though. (By the way, Mitch wins the
first question; I was able to put a #10 in the bad slot and it is now air-
and hopefully water-tight.)

The main section, the big round part that is cracked, has a 9-or-10-gear
reducer and a motor in it.  It distance-limits the turning of the gearing
with a peg through a plastic gear, and all but one of the other gears in
the reducer appear to be copper.  The gear farthest from the motor is in
the middle, turns the fastest, and has a friction coupling to a
screw-and-gasket.  This last moves up and down, in conjunction with a small
"straw", to let more or less water from the main channel [which I assume is
pass-through to the radiator] to the small channel [which I assume goes to
the cabin].  I could not get a strong seal even with the screw all the way
closed; so either the rubber is old or there is supposed to be a very small
amount of water movement even if the AC is on.

All my gears were completely frozen, both with corrosion and ancient
grease.  I was able to pull two locking rings off the gear assembly, and
one of the gearsets pushed out the bottom.  The other was stuck until I
pried up the center gear, which sits on a friction ring, then I could knock
the remaining gears out.  The casing is a pair of flat metal pieces that
screw together, functional but again not complex.

The motor has two leads.  Mine are broken off, but it looks like a standard
12V motor so the pegs should be on the end somewhere.  There was a
capacitor (?) across the terminals, at one point, but it fell off many
years ago and has too much corrosion on it for me to identify.  I haven't
decided if I want to try to fix the motor, I'm quite sure the alignment on
this whole thing is way out of whack.

At the top of the gearset there is an armature that moves back and forth
between a maze of contacts.  It looks like this maze determines the
direction of the motor.  The armature rests on a switch, and the switch has
a rubber piece that has another complex maze set into it.  I -think- if you
pull a vacuum on a certain part of this maze from above, the armature is
supposed to turn into place and set the appropriate voltage for the motor.
 If you pull too hard (or maybe stop pulling?) then the switch will lift,
and that cuts off power to the motor.

There are still some unexplained things - there is a vacuum port on the
bottom of the controller that doesn't seem to do anything, but has a nice
gasket embedded in the plastic.  I still don't understand why there are so
many vacuum points in the main connection.  I have no idea how the AC is
triggered.  There's a spring inside the big channel that I can't explain.
 Probably some other stuff.  I didn't find as much vacuum stuff as I was
expecting; there was a bank of right-angle connectors, but that's all I
came across.  It may be there is some channel thing between those and the
armature that I haven't figured out how to open, yet.

Unfortunately while I was taking pictures my phone got full, so I don't
have many.  As I go through to grease, solder, and close it up I will try
to get more, in case someone else wants to try it some day.

Best,
Tim