Agree completely. My 91 300D only had 100K miles on it -- I assume the rear rotors were replaced at some point although I can't imagine why at such low mileage. It looks like the rubber hose fittings and the bleed valves were worked on using a pair of pliers! The flats on the Hexes are all rounded off - I had hoped to replace the brake fluid but had to get creative - I managed to unscrew the rubber hose (with vice grips) and let some fluid leak from the connection while my pressure bleeder kept pressure on the fluid. Not the preferred method.

I found a special socket in my tool box - it is intended to go on a drill and put it on the stud whatever and try to unscrew it while putting pressure on the drill. Haven't tried it yet - if it doesn't break it loose I won't have much left to work with. If I am unsuccessful removing the bleeder I will be left with a scrawny stud kind of thing which I assume w dill need to be drilled out. And if drilling the bleeder out doesn't break it loose and allow it to unscrew I will need to replace the caliper. not many "good" options....

BTW, back on 2002 or so, I bought a set of calipers and rotors from a list member. He said they had the same part numbers according to the MB Parts Site and the front stuff fit perfectly - I couldn't be happier with them. But the rears have a different bolt hole placement and the bolts are different. but doesn't matter, perhaps I will sell them on eBay? ;-) The problem is those buggered up fasteners! BTW, I forgot to mention that the hex that attaches the rubber hose to the brake hard pipe that splits near the pineapple.. The hard pipes fittings are buggered also. I cannot imagine what someone was doing back there with such low mileage but they need to buy some decent flare nut wrenches if they want to work on brakes!

BTW, i soaked the fittings with PB Blaster in the hope it will help the threads break loose

Anyone need a nice pair of rear calipers from a 95 E Class? ;-) If so I can help -

Sorry about the long email....

Larry

xdw
;ahoo.com wrote:
I started on the front brake job on my 240D today. I went to take the hub off
the driver's side rotor and immediately noticed that the job was sabotaged four
years ago. One of the five Allen head bolts was completely stripped. These
rotors were replaced by my mechanic when I bought the car. He decided to
replace a stripped bolt. Nice. Now, if I were in Maine where I have my welder,
I would weld on a cheap socket and remove it. Guess I have to transport the
hub/rotor assembly up there.

Sent from my iPhone