I am considering a 2006 E320 CDI with about 95k miles on it.
I expect the current owner and I can negotiate a fair deal, so I am not
concerned about that aspect.

But in a test drive of this diesel, I noted three curiosities:

1. While accelerating on an entrance ramp this car left a large cloud of
black smoke.  My two 124 diesels never did this.  (But my old 123's sure
could leave a cloud)  Is this normal for a CDI? Should I be concerned?

2. The dash warning lights are showing an air bag fault. How serious might
this problem be on a W211?

3. This W211 made a rattle at a certain RPM that sounded like the cat heat
shield failing on my old 124's.  Does the W211 do this same thing? Or is
such a noise likely something more serious?

Anybody on the list have experience with this model who can share what they
know about these issues?

Thanks,
Ned Kleinhenz