I had this problem a month, turned out my wife after getting the 90's wagon very dirty had washed it at the local wand based car wash and sprayed it (against my historical recommendations) with evil wax.

Cheefully discovered this the next rainy night when I couldn't see much other than smeared something on windshield.

This refused to be removed by using windex. However dawn dish detergent remove it with lots of Elbow grease.

Other things to try is Clay (that I have done), and I've heard 000 steel wool (but I've not tried that)