Time to celebrate!  My 84 300D is back on the road.  For those who did not follow the
story, I had hard starting issues for the last 3 summers, yes, only in the summers.  Help
from this list determined that my injection pump was wearing out.  The pump finally gave
up completely and I picked up a used pump from Mitch and had a local mechanic install it.
 He could not get the car to run properly with that pump or another used pump I picked up
locally.  I spent over a month becoming very frustrated, angry and doubting the abilities
of of my mechanic while working with him to try and get the the car running correctly.
There were many helpful messages and suggestions from the "list".  However, the
car would start and idle correctly but It would belch black smoke and had no power when
going down the road.
  After much deliberation the mechanic and I decided to purchase a new/rebuilt
pump.  The claim was that all internals were new, only the case was used.
Basically a new pump.  The surprise was the cost to me would be only  $425.00.
At that price(seems extremely cheap) I was very nervous and worried about
whether or not to continue down an already risky and getting to be expensive
path.  I had already paid him the $600.00 he quoted me for removing and
installing the used pumps.  At any rate we order it, install it,  and wonder of
wonders, the pump worked perfectly and now the car starts and runs better than
ever.  Cost to install new pump was $895.00 which included the new pump, labor
and miscellaneous gaskets and such.  So the total cost of the project was
$1595.00 which includes the cost of the used pumps.
  All in all, I am happy to be able to continue driving my Mercedes for many
more miles using diesel fuel and waste vegetable oil.  If I can get another
100,000 miles from it before it rusts away I will be extremely happy.  Original
cost of the car was $600.00.  And other than paint, tires, shocks, rubber bits,
front suspension, motor mounts, transmission mounts, rear end mount, drive
shaft center support bearing, climate control unit,  a/c compressor times 2,
radiator, wvo system, drive shaft flex joints, rebuilt injectors, subframe
bushings, one rear axle and boots, and a cruise control amplifier this is my
first major expense.  Hahahahahahahahahahahhahahha (me laughing crazily).

Good thing I love my Mercedes diesel.

Mike
Michael E. Esh
me...@horizonenv.com