Gary Hurst wrote:
do you personally know actual people still using the POTS, dan?  any idea
how many still exist?

There's a digital switch 1/2 mile from me, I think it's about a year old.

ATT's web site would sell me either UVERSE phone (overpriced VOIP) or POTS, only TV offerings were from satellite.

UVERSE installer told me that POTS was legacy, and they weren't doing new installs of POTS in my area. Next week when the POTS installer finally got here, he told me that UVERSE phone and TV was only for areas with the faster UVERSE service, mine is limited to ADSL2 at 3mb/second. Anyway, POTS gives me perfect sound, works during a power failure, and I get unlimited local outgoing calls. UVERSE would have given me VOIP quality and only something like 50 outgoing calls for about the same price, but those 50 calls could be anywhere, not just local.

Mitch.