yeah, it's the translation of hte story into english (well, english and
spanish here as there is a large non english speaking population) that
would make it work universally.  they are good stories that should
captivate most any watcher

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 12:56 PM, Dan Penoff <d...@penoff.com> wrote:

> We were benefactors of the Florentine Opera when we lived in Wisconsin. A
> great opera company that does a nice mix of traditional and modern operas
> every season.
>
> As benefactors we got invited to all sorts of social things which often
> included the performers. It was at these that I got to hobnob with the
> likes of people such as Sherril Milnes. It was pretty cool to talk to well
> known operatic performers like him on such a personal level.
>
> One of the things I liked best were the backstage talks they would do
> after a performance. They went a long way in helping to better understand
> the characters and plot of the opera, especially if it was one you were
> unfamiliar with.
>
> I think too many people both present and perceive opera as a "snooty"
> upper crust sort of entertainment, something that you have to be
> intelligent and well bred to enjoy.  It's too bad, as we would on occasion
> take friends with us, especially ones who had never been, and they always
> came away amazed at how much they enjoyed it. One nice thing was the use of
> "supertitles" so the audience could follow the performance and understand
> the dialogue.
>
> Dan
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Aug 25, 2013, at 10:16 AM, Andrew Strasfogel <astrasfo...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Most opera singers are over the top personalities, outgoing and friendly.
> > A couple weeks before he died on stage Leonard Warren was chatting
> happily
> > with the boys. Great guy, great loss.  He and Richard Tucker were
> > inseparable.
> >
> > I also remember Georgio Tozzi and Cesare Siepi.  Love those basso
> profundo
> > voices.  Funny thing about memories. I can still recite from memory the
> > entire  scene with the children and the madman from Boris Godunov.
> >

> > On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 8:28 AM, Dan Penoff <d...@penoff.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I have hung out with Sherril Milnes on a couple of occasions.  Nice guy,
> >> very gracious.
> >>
> >> Dan who likes Puccini and Verdi

> >> blind, music loving friend has a classical music list.  With your
> >> permission, I'd like to post this on her list.

> >> Lammermoor on closed circuit.  We were anxious to hear her do the "Mad
> >> Scene" and compare it to Joan Sutherlands which we considered the all
> time
> >> peak performance. She didn't do it, but it was probably forgiveable
> since
> >> she was doing something like 6 or 7 performances per week and we doubted
> >> that anyone could do a decent Mad Scene that often.  When Sutherland did
> >> it, you could barely tell her voice from the (flute? piccolo?).

> >> Mercedes. [:o)

> (11,
> curtain
> of

> >> arche...@embarqmail.com

*reliable vendor of superior parts for mercedes and other european cars

*
*www.BuyEUROparts.com*